Hard Work Brings Hope – A Place for All Veterans to Play
American Lake Veterans Golf Course is proud to offer the following activities to all veterans and their families: affordable golf for veterans and their guests.
- Free golf for VA hospital in-patients seven days a week
- Free clinics and golf for physically disabled and blind golfers
- Free golf for Wounded Warriors every Monday
- Driving range, practice chipping and putting course at affordable prices
- Three-hole practice course for mobility impaired and blind rehab golfers
- Free nine-hole, real grass, miniature golf course
- Free indoor practice facility that includes a “Full Swing” simulator, swing plane trainer and indoor hitting cage and putting course
- Free golf lessons for all personnel eligible to use the facility
- Free loaner golf clubs to play golf
- Free mobilized golf carts for mobility impaired golfers
- Free golf balls, tees and divot repair tools
- Approximately 100 sets of clubs refurbished and gifted to veterans and soldiers
100% Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible; 7,400 square foot Rehabilitation & Learning Center for:
- Learning and training – Golf training room
- Relaxation, socialization and fun – Library and TV room
Free golf tournaments and recognition events for:
- Wounded Warriors from Fort Lewis- twice a year
- Volunteers who work at the golf course
- Memorial tournament honoring deceased veterans – donations to VA in-patients
- BBQs for First Swing Clinics and Blind Rehab Clinics
- BBQs for VA in-patient clinics, veteran’s home residents and homeless veterans
The Nicklaus Nine
In 2011 over 37,000 veterans, along with their families, came to American Lake to play golf, to rehabilitate, and to heal. This number has continued to grow each year. The stress placed on this 60-year-old course from such extensive play is staggering. The addition of the Nicklaus Nine will relieve that stress while, at the same time, accommodate the projected 50,000 and more that will surely be drawn to American Lake Veterans Golf Course in years to come.
Goal to Raise: $3,500,000
“In a way, this place enables our soldiers to continue a new fight, the fight to overcome their disabilities. To me, it’s worth it to volunteer here even if I can only help change one guy’s life. There are a lot of people out there who need help and, if they come here, we’ll give it to them.” Bruce McKenty, National Senior Vice Commander, Military Order of the Purple Heart, and Golf Course Manager
Reaching the Goal Together – A Balanced Approach of Success
Achieving the goal of raising $3.5 million is truly a public and private partnership on behalf of the veterans that have served our country. By becoming a Friend of American Lake Veterans Golf Course, you can personally make a difference in the lives of our service members and veterans with disabilities. Time, talent and resources are all needed.
The belief in this project is so strong that every Board Member is financially supportive in these efforts to ensure the long-term viability of the course. The healing it offers to our proud and deserving veterans will be able to continue, and your partnership will be forever remembered.